Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Oh Good Ol' Charles Shaw

Oh Good Ol' Charles Shaw


So I had an opportunity to once again paint another Charles Shaw sign. It seems like the chance comes about every few years and the request is always for something more grand than before. I brain stormed with my co worker and I'm not sure how exactly we came down to a Ben Hur theme but I am really glad that I went there because it is indeed a sign of epic proportions. I am really thankful that my boss is awesome enough to let me do it the way that I envisioned. Its not often that I get to really paint at work but for the last 6 months or so its the most painting that I have been able to get into my busy schedule. When I do get to I am sure to post it here.

I really tried something different with the texture on the letters. It turned out a lot different then the ones in the reference photo but I wanted a bit more contrast from the rest of the composition. There was a lot of glazing and dry brushing and if I had time I may have done a few more texture layers and crisped it up around the edges so that it looked more like highlights on granite rather that icicles.
The columns and the sign that hangs off the post are made of wood and foam core. I used plaster of paris to cover the edges and give it dimension. If I use this technique again I will definitely prime the wood with a better primer and maybe rough it up via sanding a bit more first so the plaster grips better. Overall it is very nice looking and worth doing if the application is going to be out of harms way.
I like the overall layout even though I feel like the text could be about 20% larger. My favorite parts have got to be the Shaw bottle itself, the columns and the blurb at the bottom. It just makes me laugh.
Post a Comment
 
Copyright © 2013 Leah Garcia's Art | Powered by Blogger