Thursday, August 11, 2011

Octopus Step by Step

Octopus Step by Step




Here is the next in the aquatic series. I have been wanting to finish this piece for a while and I am glad to be able to hang it in my home and move on to the next exciting sea creature. I can't decide between a humpback, a anemone or a reef shark. We will have to see.


I then started painting by picking out the medium value color for each of the areas. I am working in semi transparent acrylics so there are going to be more than a few layers of paint.

This is the point where the base layer is completed and I get to let it dry and go do something else for a while.

The next day I came back and did all the blending in the background. Adding darker and lighter colors.

I then did the same for the subject. I used about 5 different colors to achieve the upper skin tone on him. I then started to add some of the shading for his under area and then let the whole thing dry again.

I then completed all the blending for the top and bottom skin almost finishing the composition. The only thing left is to add the suction cups that should be all over his legs.
I used a lot off water on the suction cups and I am very pleased with the final. I will be making prints of this 12x12 acrylic on canvas art.

Post a Comment
 
Copyright © 2013 Leah Garcia's Art | Powered by Blogger